Friday, January 18, 2013

I love Cary Grant

I love old (classic) movies!  I frequently have a classic movie channel playing on tv while I go about my household tasks.  Today we celebrate one of my very favorite actors – Cary Grant!  It’s his birthday!  Born January 18, 1904 in Bristol, England, Archibald Leach had a difficult childhood.  His mother suffered from depression and was institutionalized.  His father later re-married and abandon the young boy.  When he was 14, he joined an acrobatic troupe that toured in America.  In 1920, Archie went through Ellis Island.  He hooked up with a vaudeville troupe and his American acting career began. 

As an actor, Cary Grant could do it all – he could be funny or deadly serious.  His acrobatic experience gave him great physical competence and grace.  He could stride into a room, commanding all eyes on him or he could roll down a hill with practiced ease.  I’m a big fan of his comedies – His Girl Friday, Arsenic and Old Lace, Bringing Up Baby, Topper and The Philadelphia Story are the best.  Monkey Business teams Cary with Ginger Rogers and Marilyn Monroe -- tons of talent and tons of fun!!!  But he could do drama too – his performance in An Affair to Remember is stellar.  And his teamings with Alfred Hitchcock were awesome!  North by Northwest, Suspicion, Notorious and To Catch a Thief are among my Hitchcock favorites!


Sadly, Cary didn’t enjoy deep, lasting relationships in his personal life – perhaps in part because of his upbringing and maybe in part because he was so admired by women around the world.  That’s pretty heady stuff – and a lot for a woman to compete with.  And maybe every woman expected Cary to BE like his screen persona.  He was married 5 times, each relationship lasting only a few years. 

Cary Grant made 75 movies – and I think I’ve seen over 60 of them.  I never get tired of watching them.  He was one of the best!  Happy Birthday, Mr.  Grant!


0 comments: